Today
3 years ago today Emily Valentine, Jackie Hine and I went to Norway Baptist Church to pick out the paint colors for our church auditorium. Emily actually picked out the main color. At the time, I was pregnant with our 3rd baby. On the way home, I felt funny and told Em that I was probably going to lose this baby. That night, God took our baby girl to Heaven. Em stayed and watched the kids. The following month, Emily Jo was taken to Heaven as well. Today, I am watching the Doolittle children for a short time, who's daddy just entered the gates of Heaven last Saturday.
I am reminded that life is short and what I strive for today should be things that have eternal value. I am so easily distracted with the "trials" of lack of sleep, that it blurs my vision for the things of eternity. I am striving to be a godly wife and mom and friend. Our life is "Only a vapor that appears for a little while and then vanishes away." Oh for the day that we are all in the presence of our dear Savior. What a day that will be!!!
2 years ago, God gave me 2 little girls on the same day. I just cried when I thought that God had given me 2 girls when He had taken that sweet soul to Heaven. He is always good. Nahum 1:7


11 Comments:
That really puts life into perspective and how short it is. I remember that time well when you had the miscarriage and when Emily passed away. We've been praying for the Doolittle family. How are Diane and the children doing?
It's been 3 years already? Time does go by quickly. Oh dear heart, God is so good. I wish we knew why He's taken away Mr. Doolittle and your dear baby. Someday we'll know even deeper and truer the person of God. Thanks for the reminder to cherish the time we have with our little ones!
Caris,
I tried to call you today....thanks for the thoughts and I love ya!!!
featheres
Thank you for that wonderful reminder ! I remember one of the first times I really talked to you was a few weeks after you lost your baby. You have such a sweet spirit and are such an example to me! Thank you!!
Carissa, thanks for your post. . .it has been a stressful afternoon, with a lot of "short fuse" moments. . .It is a rebuke to be reminded of eternity, and what truly is important in this life. GOD is good!
Eternal perspective reminder--very good to find this at the end of a weary day!
Such a precious memory! Thank you for sharing. God is good all the time and continues to show each of us His goodness, even when we see only our view. Thanks for the reminder to live each day with no regrets.
Love ya!
Ditto what others have said... what a great reminder! I find myself struggling so much (esp. lately) with different things, only to stop and realize that my life is so easy compared to others I know. Especially since I work with 2 families that have special needs kids. Every day is a blessing to them that they even have their babies ALIVE and with them, but also brings a whole different ROUND of challenges. My one little girl that I take care of has been at the hospital every day this week for appointments of some kind, then yesterday had to have dental surgery and her IV port replaced. I can't imagine going through every day knowing that this day could be my last one with my child (she has a terminal disease.) Though some days I find myself REALLY struggling with not being able to have children, I have to remind myself of the fact that I am thankful that I haven't had to go through the pain of losing a baby, either, and I don't have a special needs baby. Always something for which to be thankful!
Carissa,
Now that we are in KY I check your blog from time to time to see how things are going for the Belford gang. This entry is so beautiful. Thanks for sharing those intimate & thought-provoking words.
Tricia
That is so cool!! Thanks so much for sharing that, Carissa! Our God is Awesome!!
Love you
Alyssa
O, Carissa, I needed that today. What a wonder that, in His goodness, God allows such painful things to the ones He loves... and his sufficient is His grace!
Post a Comment
<< Home